Thursday, November 8, 2018

Eve

At night I went outside and stood tormented under a tall crimson-limbed gum tree, its black leaves making a huge wig for my head, a wig of boomerang shaped leaves;and there I wept again, because I was young and unloved and life was unknown. 
When Macca came out I sat with him beside the lowering fire and heard the curlew cry in the encircling darkness, "Eo, eo, eo!" 
 "Macca," I said, "what does that cry mean?"
             "It is my heart," he replied sombrely.
             Then without a word I loved him. I chained myself to him for all my youth. I set my heart down at his feet, and it became his. To me, in reward, after a long season, came the outline of my soul.
            To comfort myself I made cocoa, and ate biscuits with him, but Blue heard us and, being an irritable soul, wanted to know, " Why the hell don't you eat in the daytime and be done with it?"

Eve Langley, 'The Pea Pickers' 1942



No comments:

Post a Comment